Humanity faces the combined catastrophes of climate change, a mass extinction of vital biodiversity and a degradation of ecosystems health. (https://www.culturedeclares.org/resources/why-declare-why-culture)
This will have a growing impact on our lives, on people across the world, on wildlife, and on our planet for future generations.
I , Jill Goodman, declare a Climate and Ecological Emergency
I pledge to work with and support our community and local government in tackling this Emergency, and we call on others to do the same.
My intentions are:
1. I will tell the Truth
Governments, and their public broadcasters and cultural agencies, must tell the truth about the Climate and Ecological Emergency, reverse inconsistent policies and communicate the urgency for far-reaching systemic change.
- I will communicate with others and support them to discover the truth about the Climate and Ecological Emergency and the changes that are needed.
2. I will take Action
Governments must enact legally binding policy measures to reduce emissions to net zero by 2025 and to reduce consumption levels.
I pledge to continue working to reducing our household and studio emissions through:
- reducing travel by car, and when travelling by car use our electric vehicle where possible
- not flying
- reducing our household use of fossil fuels: use renewable energy sources – air sources heat pump for home and studio heating, green electricity supplier, and electricity produced by our PV panels; use only wood from fallen trees along our hedgerows as secondary heat source.
- I will challenge policies and actions of local and national governments and their agencies, where I interact with them, that do not help to reduce emissions or consumption levels.
- I will attempt to use my art work to reflect and communicate the concerns of Climate Emergency and to connect others with the natural world.
3. I am committed to Justice
The emergency has arisen from deeply systemic injustices. Arts and Culture can imagine and forge shifts in the ways we relate to one another and the world, in our values and behaviours.
- Every decision can hold a moral choice. I am committed to making moral/ethical choices wherever possible: food, finance, clothing, and everyday choices.